Today we were able to have a second visit! We tried to pick up Laynie today so we would have a couple of days with her before her 13 hour flight back to Illinois with these strangers! Unfortunately, that wasn't possible. So we will pick her up on Thursday at 3:00 p.m. We leave Friday morning for the airport.
When we first arrived at the Holt office, we met with Mrs. Lee, the social worker who matched us up with Laynie and Malea. She's awesome. I brought two huge bags full of donations. My ladies' Bible study group donated items for the Holt office that are not available in Korea or are very expensive here. Mrs. Lee was overwhelmed - 20 lbs of lotion, a stack of the cutest preemie outfits, baby vitamins, diaper cream, newborn outfits, and a huge bag full of rice cereal boxes. Because there was so much, she was able to divide it up between the Holt Reception Center where some babes are kept, the Ilsan foster home for special needs babes, and the medical center to distribute to foster moms. Thanks again to all of you in my group for the donations! You are awesome!
After that, we went to the medical clinic where Laynie had her pre-flight physical. She is such a doll! She is still not feeling well though and has the runs to boot. We learned she is allergic to milk products and is on soy formula. She's been put on medicine for her diarrhea and special formula - no solids for a few days. Plus she still has her cold. So please pray for her health - we know she will have a rough time separating from her foster mom anyway, but it could be a lot worse if she isn't feeling well - not to mention the crazy long flight.
At first I didn't think she would let me hold her without fussing - you could tell she didn't feel well, but she actually reached for me - twice!!! My heart about stopped. She is so sweet. We only saw her for about 30 minutes, but it was still so good. I can't believe she's mine! The foster mom is very concerned that I don't have a Korean baby carrier - she says Laynie prefers to be carried on the back instead of the front. So she is giving me one of hers and gave me a lesson on how to get her in the carrier. Oh my.....pray that I don't run her into a wall. I'm not comfortable with having her where I can't see her! We'll see about that. She let us know that Laynie is not a good sleeper - wakes every hour some nights looking for her foster mom. Wow! She also said that Laynie can already feel that something is up - she is experiencing separation anxiety. We need lots of prayers friends and family! Please, please, please remember us!!!
After leaving Laynie, we went to the Holt Reception Center - took a bag of donations and held some babies. They are adorable!! One loved Tyler - just so content in his arms. We then stopped by the room of the couple from our city tour to see their precious baby boy then headed to the subway. My aunt and cousin live in Suwon, about an hour south of Seoul, so we went there for the rest of the day to visit with them. They speak little English and, well you know how our Korean is, so thankfully, they had a friend from their church come who speaks English very well. He is such a nice man. We had a wonderful time! It was so good to see them! Tyler really loved meeting them. They are so kind and hospitable. They took us to lunch - it was amazing! Just when we thought we were done and so full from the 6 courses that were served, out came the main course. What?? Oh my....it included grilled fish though, Tyler's favorite, so he managed to find some room for it in his stomach. We then went to their home for a visit and they pulled out more food. Wow! I don't think we'll eat again until we're back in the states.
We got home a couple of hours ago and both of my men are sleeping so I should hit the pillow too. Tomorrow is our day! We finally get her! I hope I sleep tonight. I don't think we'll get much tomorrow night. Pray for us! I'm so excited. We feel so blessed to have her join our family. I love, love, love that she has a special connection with Malea through their birth mother, but honestly, that's not why we love her or accept her. That just happens to be what led us to each other. We love her because we were chosen to be her family and she was chosen to be our daughter by the One who created us all. Not only is she being joined with her sister - Malea, but with her sister - Brooklyn, her brother - Nick, her brother - Tyler and her mom and dad. We are her forever family and that doesn't have anything to do with blood lines. That's the beauty of adoption. She may not have grown in my womb, but she definitely has been growing in my heart. I love you Alayna Charis Eun Bi, and I thank God He brought us together. I can't wait to bring you home!




8 comments:
Lifting you guys up in prayer!! Praying that Lanie starts feeling MUCH better and that she just transitions to you guys well.
Blessings!!
Molly
Hey guys,
The first question we ask each other in the morning is if "there is a post". The girls eyes are mostly still shut but they check the computer even before they brush their teeth--ha!!
You know we will be praying for Laynie's health and adjustment. Thank you for letting Amy and I know of her food allergies---we don't have that great of a record with Malea!ha We will continue to pray for her attachment to you all. It is great though that she wanted to come to you on your 2nd visit.
Can't wait for your "gotcha day"!!! Love you all!!
I am overwhelmed with tears reading your post (and that was before I got to the pictures). I love what you wrote about your love for her being more about your creator choosing you to be her family than her birth-mom tie with Malea. Such truth! I was reading in Ephesians last night for the umpteenth time about Christ adopting us into his family. It never fails to overwhelm me that He is letting me experience a small picture of that here on earth. - We are definitely praying health and sleep for Miss Laynie. Thank you for blessing us with your posts! We're counting down to meeting her!!!
Love, Sherry
Sweet Shaw family - we love you! How beautiful Laynie is! We are praying.
This was an incredible post and the words you wrote about why you love your daughter is something Laynie will treasure forever! We will be praying for you.... AND I can't wait to meet your precious Sweetheart at Kindermusik!!!
So excited to see some more pics of your sweet baby girl! She knows her mommy. Loved seeing you with your family there also. What a blessing! I am so glad that God allowed that for you guys. How awesome for Tyler. Know that we are calling out to the Great Physician to heal and restore Laynie.
Genesis 28:15
"What’s more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you.”
ahhhh couldn't sleep...wanting to see pics from GOTCHA!! can't wait!! i've been praying and thinking about you like crazy. soon you be on a plane with your new babe on route to the place where her family and lots and lots of people who love her are very very anxious to meet her, love her and get to know her. i think i'm most excited to see laynie and malea together. i have a picture in my mind of what it will be like when malea sees her for the first time...so precious.
praying for a good night's rest w her tonight (sounds like that may be a challenge), good health, and the fastest 14 hour plane ride EVER!! God has brought you so far already...the next 36 hours will not be an exception!! He is good!
we love you and can't wait to see you!
lynne
Shaws,
Laynie is so cute. Love seeing pictures of her. Can't wait to meet her.
Sydney S.
Post a Comment